Feb – Mar 2024 – Pre-audition workshops (in person at a London location & online)
Mar 2024 – Auditions (in person at a London location)Application Form
To apply for Academy Breakin’ Convention, please complete the application form below, the first 2 bullet points can be completed in a written or video format:
- We will need your basic contact details
- An answer to the question “What do you hope to develop at Academy Breakin’ Convention ?” Maximum 150 words
- A 1-minute video of you performing at least 1 of the 7 ABC elements: Breaking, DJing, Emcee, Graffiti, Music Production, Popping, and Social Dance.
These will be used to shortlist you for an audition.
After completing the application form, applicants will be shortlisted and invited to an audition to show us what you’ve got. During the audition you will be expected to showcase your skills in Breaking, Popping, Hip Hop Social Dance, Emceeing (with and without music) and Graffiti.
Sound nerve-racking? Don’t worry, ABC will invite all shortlisted applicants to attend our free pre-audition workshops to ensure everyone feels prepared and supported. We know students will be doing things outside of their comfort zone and a variety of options will be offered to make sure everyone has the best chance of success, enjoys the process, takes away positive encouragement and leaves feeling inspired and motivated to grow.
- A memorised rap to music between 30 seconds and 1 minute long.
- A read/memorised spoken word piece between 30 seconds and 1 minute long.
- The rap can be written by you or an artist you like.
- The spoken word MUST be written by you using the question ‘Why do you want to study at ABC?’ as inspiration.
*Please ensure the lyrics are age appropriate and with no offensive language*
DANCE – BREAKING / POPPING / HIP HOP SOCIAL DANCE
You will take part in a class learning a short routine including Breaking, Popping and Hip Hop Social Dance. You will also be given the opportunity to stand out from the crowd and perform the routine back in smaller groups, ending with your own flavour in a freestyle.
You will perform your pre-prepared rap and spoken word piece to a small panel.
You will get creative and design your own piece of graffiti, explaining where you would place this art and why.
A chance to return to your first application questions and for you to ask any questions to the ABC team.